Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Is mod se jate hain

The vagaries of life have not allowed me to think about it for a long time now, which is reflected in no posts lately. As I do not expect myself to write anything worthwhile soon, I am filling the gap with an interpretation of one of my favorite songs, penned by Gulzar. The words explaining the meaning are mine but the core idea is 'tap-ed' from a post in the Gulzar community at Orkut.

_________________________________________________
Is mod se jaate hai – Aandhi

Is mod se jaate hain
kuch sust kadam raste, kuch tez kadam raahe
patthar kee hawelee ko, sheeshe ke gharondo me
tinkon ke nasheman tak, is mod se jaate hai…


Sanjeev and Suchitra, just starting their lives together ("mod" refers to a point in life), are thinking about various paths and destinations that lie ahead. "sust kadam" (laid back) and "tez kadam" (go-getter) are the ways that they may take in future. Both are aware that depending on the path that they choose, they may land up at different places -- in a "pathar ki haveli" (relationship with a strong foundation), "sheeshey ka ghronda" (a fragile one) or "tinkon ka nasheman" (nasheman = nest, a temporary fling).

aandhee kee tarah udakar, ek raah gujaratee hai
sharamaatee huyee koi, kadamo se utaratee hai
in reshamee raaho me, ek raah to wo hogee
tum tak jo pahuchatee hai, is mod se jaate hai..

ek door se aatee hai, paas aake palatatee hai
ek raah akelee see, rukatee hain naa chalatee hai
ye soch ke baithhee hoon, yek raah to wo hogee
tum tak jo pahuchatee hai, is mod se jaate hai..


"aandhi ki tarah udkar" (filled with passion), "sharmaate hui koi, kadamo se utarti hai" (shy), "ek door se aati hai, pass aake palatatee hai" (whimsical) , "ek raah akeli se, rukti hai na chalti hai" (slow, steady) -- Having so many ways to approach their nascent relationship, they share with each other the 'pleasant anxiety' that is teasing them and wonder, "There must be some way that leads to you".
_________________________________________________
Marvellous, isn't it ?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I agree with you...the lyrics are really good. what I like about gulzar's songs is that you can derrive mutiple meanings from them....depending upon your mood you can find a good interpretation of your own. My other favourites are "beeti na betaye raina" and "khaali haanth shaam aayi thi"

Anonymous said...

anonymous
khali haath shaam aayi thi, really interesting. sunta hoon kabhi..

Unknown said...

I was just going through your blog randomly. Somewhere, I saw you write something about the dismal number of comments on your blog. So, I thought I ought to comment :)

You do have some pretty interesting insights - I liked the one where u asked whether the point of friends/relatives was to keep the will to live in oneself alive. Now, as I write about it, I suddenly remember something from somewhere, I think it was from one of the Rocky movies; it was something about "life takes away things you value one by one; until you reach a point where you see no reason to live further". So, I guess what you say is true.

Thanks for the interpretation of a few of Gulzar's lyrics (especially "is mod se"; I've heard it for years but never understood it). But I guess, of late, his lyrics are becoming more and more inscrutable.

Hope you have found some meaning to continue in your life (I guess I was reading your blog because I too find myself in some similar state); even if it be through starting your own family!

All the best.

Anonymous said...

Me too..I like to read whatever you write. Why haven't you been writing for a long time now? I think you have a wonderful art of expressing yourself in words. There are very few people who can juggle with words so beautifully as you do. May be even if you are busy with your studies or anything else in life,keep your words alive.
Good luck... :)

Anonymous said...

I was trying to find out the meaning of 'is mod se'. Your way of perception is really cool. Liked it :).. thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Really like the way you interpreted Is mod se..
Gulzar! What an amazing path his mind and thots take..Many a times i have wondered what Gulzar had in his mind when he writes what he writes...
The movie ijjazat is a poetry by itself.. And mera kuch saman.. I close my eyes and i get that gili mehendi ki khushbooo.. and the way it ends. ek ijjazat do jab isko dafnaoongi mein bhi wohi so jaaongi..
Amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for interpreting this timeless song. It has been a fav song of me tho I never completely understood it. Gulzar can be pretty esoteric when he speak in metaphors.

Animesh Kulkarni said...

Awesome! Thanks a lot. Had never got this meaning. Gulzar is The Gulzar.

Jyoti said...

Ashish you write beautifully! And your interpretation is is very interesting.. keep writing and enlightening us always :)

Unknown said...

Amazing lyrics with a very deep meaning... Really!!! Dil khush ho jata hai jab yesa gana sunte hai to....

Anonymous said...

I understood the meaning of this song first time. Thanks to u. Few days ago I read the meaning of 'Beedi Jalaile' somewhere and I couldnt believe the way Gulzar had encapsulated such a raunchy meaning in such a deceptive manner.